Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: The Boy Project: Notes and Observations of Kara Mcallister

The Boy Project: Notes and Observations of Kara Mcallister by Kami Kinard
Publication Date: January 1st 2012
Genre: MG
Goodreads




Summary

For anyone who's ever felt that boys were a different species....

Thirteen and wildly creative, Kara McAllister just had her best idea yet. She's going to take notes on all of the boys in her grade (and a few elsewhere) in order to answer a seemingly simple question: How can she get a boyfriend?
 
But Kara's project turns out to be a lot more complicated than she imagined. Soon there are secrets, lies, and an embarrassing incident in the boy's bathroom. Plus, Kara has to deal with mean girls, her slightly spacey BFF, and some surprising uses for duct tape. Still, if Kara's research leads her to the right boy, everything may just be worth it...

Full of charts and graphs, heart and humor, this hilarious debut will resonate with tweens everywhere.


"You love reading," my dad said. "Science is just reading and memorizing."
The man had a point. But he doesn't get that I read because I want to escape to all kinds of cool places. Science is one of those places I'd like to escape from.

Although I like that bit up there and it was early on in the book, it did still take me a little while to truly get into this one. I think mostly it's because I don't read many middle grade and or contemporary books.

However, I did get into it in no time, after a few pages, but I have to forewarn you there are a few edit problems. Not to many but I feel like there shouldn't be any at all. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this read and can't wait to see what else Ms. Kinard will bring to the writing world. Maybe even venture out into the YA world. 

The writing is smooth and it's place like a journal. Which you can tell by the book cover. The cover is pretty in pink and it totally screams middle school girl. That's what my notebook would have looked like back in the days. Wow, that makes me sound old. Haha. Anyways, me and the main character Kara have a lot in common and made me think back to my own days in middle school. 

She's shy around boys (same here) yet I was never shy around boys I've known for a while and were considered as friends of mine. She feels the need to find a boyfriend because everyone she knows, including her best friend, has at least had one. And at that age things like that could get to us especially since that's around the age we don't think the opposite sex has cooties anymore and where we're in the middle stages of being a kid and a teen. So that's her mission and it can get her into some sticky situations. Like, being caught in the boys bathroom or getting detention with a boy that annoys the hell out of you. 

There's many boys she observes and some of them I like. Even the ones she doesn't like because it's always the one you think about the less that gets to you. And I should know. This book is great for tweens, they'll just eat it up because they're going through the same thing as our main character, Kara, is.

Everything about this book is fun and I give it


           

Two birds, One stone


   


Happy Reading Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment