Sunday, April 15, 2012

Review: The Angel Experiment

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1) by James Patterson
Publication Date: April 11, 2005
Genre: YA Fantasy, Science Fiction
Pages: 422





Summary

Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel, the youngest member of the flock, is kidnapped and taken back to the "School" where she and the others were experimented on by a crew of wack jobs. Her friends brave a journey to blazing hot Death Valley, CA, to save Angel, but soon enough, they find themselves in yet another nightmare--this one involving fighting off the half-human, half-wolf "Erasers" in New York City. Whether in the treetops of Central Park or in the bowels of the Manhattan subway system, Max and her adopted family take the ride of their lives. Along the way Max discovers from her old friend and father-figure Jeb--now her betrayed and greatest enemy--that her purpose is save the world--but can she?

I'm kind of torn about this book. I didn't completely like it, but I know I didn't hate it.

"The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective."

You know how when you like a singer or a band and you buy their new CD without hearing a single song, expecting to like it, but not get what you expected? Well, that's how I felt about this book. My dad got me this book, along with another of Patterson's books, Witch and Wizard, for my birthday. I read and liked Witch and Wizard, and I read another of his books before that and liked it, too. So, when I started reading this one, I had expectations that, in the end, it didn't meet.

Most of the main characters I didn't like. Max, Fang, Nudge, and Angel all annoyed me. I didn't really feel anything for Gasman. The only one I actually liked was Iggy.

The book started out okay, giving me hope for the rest of the book. But then there was about a hundred pages of stuff that, in my opinon, were not needed. The book did get better the more I read, but not enough to completely save the book. There were some confusing plot points, that really didn't go with the rest of the book, that I guess were supposed to lead into the next book. Which is fine by me if I was compleled to read the next book, but in this case I'm not sure. (I'm kind of leaning toward no.)




Now, the way I rate this book is slightly different. I gave it a 3 star rating because I'm rounding up. It deserved more than a 2.5 but is not quite a 3 star book. My rating is acually more like a 2.8. 

My review of Witch And Wizard-- Click Here





No comments:

Post a Comment