Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review: Forgive My Fins

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Publication Date: May 19th 2010
Genre: YA Fantasy
Pages: 293
Goodreads




Summary

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.



If you loved The Little Mermaid than there is no doubt in my mind that you'll love this.

Why it took me so long to get this book is beyond me because I fell head over hills for these characters. From the first page I was so immersed into this world that when I had to pull away I couldn't wait to get right back into it.

Yeah, Lily, was a little blinded towards her love for Brody but she hasn't lived long enough in our world to know about the warning signs that fly around jocks. So I was kinda okay when she didn't notice what was actually right in front of her. Besides that I loved her. Her crazy fishy terminology was great. I loved every single one of them. Very cute. 

"You shouldn't make assumptions about how others view you, Lily." He sounds sincere, I can't help but look up as he adds, "Some people find beauty in chaos."

Now Quince, I loved him since he first came into the picture. What he did in the beginning was mean but...it was totally funny- in my opinion. I think through out the book he always put a smile on my face and still does as I'm writing about him. He was always there to protect Lily even if she didn't want him around. Their on going bickering was cute and when he was partly the cause of her spilling orange juice on herself it reminded me of a favorite webisode series- though it wasn't orange juice that got on the girls shirt- mainly, it was just the situation and the main plot that reminded me of the show

The plot is lighthearted, fun and a great summer read. The romance is sweet perfect for any hopeless romantics. I loved every page, couldn't put it down, causing me to want more. Including on how it ended and the little peek at the end- for the second book, that makes me crave deeply for Fins Are Forever.      
Well, that's one thing in a row that's not a complete disaster. It's not like I could exactly explain a seagull showing up at our kitchen window with a message tied to his leg.


The little quirks and wonderful world building from Miss Childs was a perfect way of turning my dream of becoming a mermaid, real. Plus the little bonuses at the back of the paperback makes it all the more fun. A dictionary of Lily's slang, a history of her kingdom, and a fun recipe for Mermaid Cupcakes. 





Overall, I loved and can't wait to dive right back into this world when I pick up or borrow from the library, a copy of the second Fins Are Forever.

A must read for all mermaid lovers and I give this a



Two birds, One stone




Happy Reading Everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment