Friday, October 5, 2012

Review: Born Wicked







Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Jessica Spotswood
Publication Date: January 25th 2012
Genre: YA Fantasy
Pages: 330
 
 
 
Summary
 

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
 
 
 
 
Cheesy Word- Simply Enchanting
 
 
First off, if you are looking for a very witchy book where it's consent magic, then look somewhere else. Instead this book has witchy moments that are just simply enchanting but more people would probably say it's a historical fiction. Which I most adore too. ^_^
 
I love popping into a world that once was. The clothes, the life style, the speak, and the everything.
 
I loved the story line, the development of the characters, of the mystery and the love for the person she chooses, the twist and turns, the cute little moments, and the drama between the sisters. Man that major blow up at the end and the scenes that led up to it. So. Did. Not. See. That. Coming. So good! 
 
Cate Cahill, I liked her but I really loved her when she relaxed and became an improper lady. Especially when she started talking about pirate books with Finn. Such a cute moment ^_^. And her unexpected magic, fun moments!
 
Overall, I got what I expected plus more. You get drama/sitting on the edge of your seat moments (when the brothers come and take women whom are supposedly witches), the romance (two guys, but it really doesn't feel like a love triangle, thank god haha), the unforeseen truths behind things that didn't seem huge in the story (so many good ones, my god!) and great characters that you just can't help but to root for, to hope they get what they want in the end.
 
Most definitely recommend!
 
 
 
 
Favorite Quotes:
 
“I feel us tilting toward each other like trees in a strong breeze. I've been craving the sight of him for days, but now its not enough. I'm not sure who moves first. The inches between us are erased until I'm in his arms and my mouth finds his.” 
 
 
“He may not have said the words, but I know my son. I saw the way he looked at you."
"How?"
"Like he'd do murder for you.”
 
 
 
“He holds my gaze, and the look in his eyes is a love letter in itself. When he speaks, his voice is rough. "Will you marry me, Cate?"
I go still, the question hanging in the air. I have never felt more accepted 'for the girl I am, not the girl I want to be' never more loved and respected than I am in this moment. It's a choice, and it's mine to make.
"Yes," I breathe."
 


Happy Reading Everybody!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment