Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Review: Drink Slay Love



Drink Slay Love by Sarah Beth Durst
Publication Date: September 13th 2011
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 385
 
 
Summary
 
Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.

Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.

The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?
 
 
 

This book is sexy….
…..and it just drools off of the pages. Right from the beginning I knew this was going to be good. The tone it gave off in the very first scene was breathtaking, intense, and spicy. Unique and a tone I have yet to get from a book.
This was such a great book and because of that, I don’t always know how to put it in words. All I can say is, this made me fall in love with vampires again and causes me to want to look up some more YA unicorn themed books, haha.
Pearl, my oh my, she is the kind of girl all girls want to be (and I’m not talking about wanting to be a vampire). No, I’m talking about being confident and knowing oneself is very, very sexy. I just adore the scene of her making an entrance with the car, going to make her first stop to her favorite dessert (boy). It’s memorable. Just her stepping out of the car and sauntering into the ice cream parlor, while outside all eyes were on her, that’s like every girls dream. To take hold of an audience like that, to have that kind of power and confidence. No? Well, at least for me it is haha.  
However, I most enjoy watching Pearl going from blood thirsty foe to a heart beating human being (okay, maybe I don’t think her heart every start to beat again, but you know what I mean). That transformation grew and progressed nicely. I grew to love her even more and she became more real for me, too. Also, I loved her sense of humor. Girl has no filter sometimes haha.
“You’re a teenage boy. I have boobs. What part of the equation is missing?”
I’m actually quite surprised by how little romance there is in this book. Yes, there is some. She has a vampire boyfriend, yet I don’t see the romance between them. Well, I never actually liked the dude, so I am quite happy about that ^_^.  And then of course there’ll be a human boy in this equation, yet it doesn’t move as quickly as some may hope for. However, I was happy it wasn’t like, crushing hard/insta love the moment they met. No, it was more of pearl checking out his neck, seeing a nice tasting snack more than anything haha.
Overall, the vampire boyfriend was a great creepy villain (all the vampires were) while the human boy was the perfect knight in shining armor. The story telling was hypnotizing, charming, sexy, and a great standalone book. I was actually very happy to see a vampire book being a standalone!
Though yes, I got attached and wished for more, but I am very happy with how it all got tied up. I will most be looking at other works from this author as this is a favorite of mine, another great read this year! ^_^
A book with a new twist involving vampires and unicorns, great side characters, winding roads of plot I never saw coming. You’ll be hooked in this very original story idea and you won’t know what to do with yourself but hope to see these characters once again!

Get your ass to the store or library and pick this bad girl up! I promise, you won't regret it!
 
 
Happy Reading Everybody!
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment