Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Deviants

Deviants (The Dust Chronicles #1) by Maureen Mcgowan
Publication Date; October 30, 2012
Genre: YA Dystopian
Pages: 312




 
 
Summary
 

In a post-apocalyptic world, where the earth is buried by asteroid dust that’s mutated the DNA of some humans, orphaned, sixteen-year-old Glory must protect her younger brother and escape the domed city that’s been her entire world.

Outside in the ruins, they’re pursued by the authorities and by sadistic, scab-covered Shredders who are addicted to the lethal-to-humans dust now covering the planet. Glory’s quests to transport herself and her brother to safety make up the thrilling and fascinating first volume of The Dust Chronicles.
 
 
I found this book at the library. I really didn't know much about it but I picked it up anyway. I don't think it was a bad decision.
 
 
Dizziness takes hold and my focus fades. If I pass out while he's this monster, he'll rape me, kill me. My mind floods with anger almost like it's coming directly from Burn. I can't let anger win. I'm losing control.
 
 
I will let you know right now: if you don't like dystopian, you will not like this book. At times it did feel very generic and very much like a lot of other dystopians. And it really doesn't come up with any original ideas.
 
The characters are also very generic. And they don't develop that much. Glory isn't the best main character. She was borderline annoying. She was self-absorbed at times. She jumped to conclusions the second she sees something happening. And she doesn't change her mind till she is forced to. She thinks that her brother needs her a lot more then he does and she refuses to accept it. She is supposed to be this strong, independent girl and she was like the first thirty pages, but as soon as Burn gets introduced, she becomes another damsel in distress.
 
Even though it can be generic, it was also entertaining at times. I can see the potental in this series. Do I have the highest hopes? No. But I do think this could be an intresting series if the next book becomes more original. 
 
I recomen this book to dystopian fans and some one looking for a fast read. But if you don't like dystopian, you won't like this book.
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment