Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review: Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1) by Tera Lynn Childs


 
Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1) by Tera Lynn Childs
Publication Date: September 4th 2012
Genre: YA Fantasy
Pages: 384
 
 
~Summary~
 
 
Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.
 
 
~Review~
 
Tera Childs is another one of those authors who gets better with every series they put out there! I adore most of hers and this one has to be my favorite out of them, which means I am just dying to get my hands on the second one! ^_^
Okay first off, when I saw we weren’t going to meet Greer till like ¾ of the book in I was a little sadden. But now I’m glad Ms. Childs didn’t bring her in till Gretchen and Grace were able to warm up to each other and for Grace to get somewhat of a hold on things in this new world, the world where she was pretty much thrown over a shoulder in finding out about it haha. I liked how they found out about being triplets and when Gretchen and Grace went to go meet her (without her knowing, haha) it was a blast to read it from Greer’s point of view. She is so different from the other two that I just thought she was an excellent character, written very well, and she completely stood out the most to me. <3
Another thing I loved about Greer was her first encounter with a monster. She was very young and man was it a bit creepy, especially when you think of yourself at the age she was *shudders*. I think as I type this out she has got to be my favorite out of the three sister’s haha. I enjoyed them all and they all stood out in their own way. Gretchen with her monster hunting skills, Grace with her innocence in this new world and moving into a new city, and Greer with coming from money and her wanting to deny everything but knowing she can’t in the end.
Secondly, I loved the plot and the mythology! *squeal* Medusa and her sisters being the myth and ancestors of the girls, what’s not to love there. The monster hunting and the changes the girls are making in the monster world as they fall together. Plus the blooming romances, in this I adore Gretchen’s the most! :D Nick is charming, sweet, funny, and a kick ass kind of guy but has a secret and I can’t wait to see what that is. But I loved when he would pop into her life unexpectedly and would mess up with her thought process haha.
“For the first time, I want to let people in. I didn't want to hang up on Nick. I had to. Because, for the first time, I wanted to say yes.” 
 
Overall, I enjoyed this one. It’s a favorite and a great start to a series. All the elements of an amazing read are here and with the mind blowing ending makes you crave for the next one. Sitting over the edge of your seat, page turner, and all in all a roller coaster of a ride with twists you so do not see coming!
 
 
It will take possession over you
 
~Extras~
 
 
Also, if you get the paperback version, as I did, you of course get some fun extras. Like an interview with the characters, Tera talking about how to twist mythology, a legend about the Gorgon sisters, a recipe for a drink, and the first chapter on the next book Sweet Shadows!  

Happy Reading Everybody!
Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment