Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: The Overnight (Fear Street #3) by R.L Stine

 
 
The Overnight (Fear Street #3) by R.L Stine
Publication Date: August 1st, 1991
Genre: YA Horror
Pages: 148
 
 
~Summary~
 
"Nothing bad will happen," Della O'Connor assures her friends in the Outdoors Club. So what if their advisor can't go on the overnight to Fear Island—won't it be more fun with no adults around?

But it's no fun at all when Della gets lost in the woods, and the dangerous stranger appears, whispering threats, driving her to a violent act.

Suddenly all of her friends are involved, prisoners in a conspiracy of silence, trying to conceal the terrible truth. But someone saw what Della did. And he's threatening them all, forcing them back to Fear Island to find the evidence they forgot to bury...
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
This book reminded me a lot of I Know What You Did Last Summer as it had some of the big key elements as that story had. Like there was an accident causing someone to die, there were the mystery notes saying I saw what you did, and the creep who liked scaring the wits out of these kids but none of the kids died so I was a little disappointed. Throughout I was hoping it would turn out different, like it was a mental one where it’s all in the main characters mind. However that's not where the story leads to.
 
In the beginning this was a story about a girl hoping an overnight at Fear Island with friends was her chance at getting back with her ex-boyfriend. But her luck turns for the worst when she runs into a crazy stranger out in the middle of the woods. This is where the trouble begins for the group of kids. And since the kids were out there when they shouldn’t have been as this was a school club trip that got canceled they decided to hide their mistake.
 
I don't know, now that I am writing this out and actually thinking back to what I read I see now it was an okay read. I did have some moments where I was sitting on the edge of my seat but as it seemed too much like the move I Know What You Did Last Summer it really wasn’t a big shock to the ending or there weren’t many twist and turns within the stories plot, which saddens me.
 
Every time something would happen or seemed there was going to be a turn on this horror story road I would get a bit disappointed when nothing surprising happened. So everything with this book was just okay. The characters I didn't really care much for or had major sympathy for. Well maybe just a couple I did but they were only the secondary characters, none of the main ones. And the plot itself was okay but like I said it was bit too much like I Know What You Did Last Summer so it’s giving me a bleh feeling. Sadly what I enjoy most about the Fear Street books wasn't in this one, I enjoy hearing the story of close friends dying and their friends trying to solve why cause that is what this series is mostly about.
 

Gives you a good haunting
 
Happy Reading Everybody!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment