Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Impulse

Impulse (Impulse #1) by Ellen Hopkins
Publication Date: January 23, 2007
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 688



 
 
Summary
 

Sometimes you don't wake up. But if you happen to, you know things will never be the same.

Three lives, three different paths to the same destination: Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for those who have attempted the ultimate act -- suicide.

Vanessa is beautiful and smart, but her secrets keep her answering the call of the blade.

Tony, after suffering a painful childhood, can only find peace through pills.

And Conner, outwardly, has the perfect life. But dig a little deeper and find a boy who is in constant battle with his parents, his life, himself.

In one instant each of these young people decided enough was enough. They grabbed the blade, the bottle, the gun -- and tried to end it all. Now they have a second chance, and just maybe, with each other's help, they can find their way to a better life -- but only if they're strong and can fight the demons that brought them here in the first place.
 
 
 
Act on your impulse, swallow the bottle, cut a little deeper, put the gun to your chest.
 

 
To start off the writing was beautiful. It is in verse so it is a fast read. if you want a happy book then read  different one. This is kind of depressing. Even though the book is good, I do have a few problems. But I will get to that a little latter.


 I didn't really fall in love with any of the characters. In fact, they had the same voice. If I wasn't paying attention and the characters switched it would take me a few seconds to figure it out. And the only backstory I liked was Tony's. Vanessa was just bipolar and Conner just ended up a depressed rich boy. And don't get me started on the love thing. I don't think it worked at all.

Okay, now for a few more things I didn't like.

To start, Tony, Vanessa, and Conner were all too judgemental. The call the other kids crazy when most of them are just depressed. Two, I wish the story was a little more, I guess the word is believeable. Bad things just keep on happening to the characters. It's not enough that they tried to kill themselves, they all have other things that they won't talk about. And lastly is a pet peeve of mine. Right when something is about to happen it switches to a different person.


Now it might not seem like it, but I did like the book. It does hook you. It is entertaining. If you like Ellen Hopkins, if you like books in verse, I think you will like this book. I do recommend it.
  
3.5
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This wasn't my favorite Hopkins book, but I did like it... Connor's story made me really sad. His parents, ughhh! HATED THEM! Are you going to read Perfect?

    PS- I like your rating system descriptions... cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle- I would like to read it. I probably won't buy it, but if the library has it then I will pick it up. And I got to give my sister credit for the rating descriptions.

    ReplyDelete