Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review: Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Publication Date: January 10 ,2010
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Pages: 313




 
Summary
 
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


Okay, so this was kind of a hard review for me. It's not that I hated the book or there was a lot I wanted to say. It's just I'm not sure if I loved the book or just liked it. I'm going with somewhere in between.


The plot was nothing special. It was really carried by the writing and the characters. Even though I had an idea of how it was going to end, it was pretty easy to see it coming while reading from the start. And the dialogue was cliché at times. But I was smiling throughout the first half of the book. I never really laughed, but I did chuckle from time to time. And, yes, the story is sad. I didn't cry, but I don't really cry at things like this.


Hazel and Augustus were easily the best parts of the book. Augustus probably is my favorite part. Yeah, I didn't relate to either of them and they usually talked like adults, but I still really liked them as characters. And their parents actually cared and were present. Yeah, with their kids dying, you would hope they would be, but I've read a lot of books were the parents end up being after thoughts. And Isaac was a great support and something the book need.


All in all, I recommend it to everyone. Yes, it's not perfect, but I think should read it and I think they'll like. And it is extremely quotable and characters are memorable. So, in the end it gets a four out of five.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment