Monday, December 23, 2013

Review: Fearless by Christine Rains

Fearless
Fearless by Christine Rains
Publication Date: July 31st 2012
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Pages: 49
Format: Kindle
Source: Free on Amazon
 
 
~Summary~
 
Abby White was seven years old when she killed the monster under her bed. Now she slays creatures spawned by the fertile imaginations of children, and the number of these nightmares are on the rise. Neither she nor her guide - a stuffed hippo named Tawa - know why.

When she rescues Demetrius from an iron prison, he pledges his life to protect hers until he can return the favor. She doesn't want the help. And how can she concentrate on her job when the gorgeous wild fae throws himself in front of her during every fight? No matter how tempting, she can't give in to him.

To save the children and all she loves, Abby must be truly Fearless.
 
 
~My Thoughts~

I was drawn in by this “Abby White was seven years old when she killed the monster under her bed. Now she slays creatures spawned by the fertile imaginations of children, and the number of these nightmares are on the rise. Neither she nor her guide - a stuffed hippo named Tawa - know why.” and found the talking stuffed animal completely adorable! So being intrigued and loving the idea of a person slaying the monsters that live under the beds of children, I downloaded this free short in a heartbeat!
I liked Abby from the beginning! Her character was brave throughout and seeing the transition from her being a kid to an adult was done smoothly. I was so immersed in this world I never wanted to stop reading! It’s truly a fun short and I’m definitely hooked to the writers story telling!
Now the only little down side I have, is the romance. I know it’s hard to write it, especially in a short story, however I wished that I could have seen it blossom into what the author made it out to be. At the end, they loved each other. Yes, I did enjoy Demetrius and he did put a smile on my face. However their love was something I didn’t feel like I could truly connect to. All I saw was the reason why they fell in love was because they helped fight the monsters together and Abby saw him as a protector. I wasn’t able to feel them falling in love any other way. One minute Abby is at her wits end with him and the next she’s dying to be kissed by him?! All I’m saying is, is that I wished there was a better transition between the “I hate you” to “I love you”.
Overall this was truly a cute storyline and the monsters were a nice dose of creepiness. How the bad guy came forth was a total shock and it brought chills to my spine. In the end, I actually would love it if the author continued with this set of trio, especially how it ended for Tawa, adorable!! Plus the creepy details the author writes makes me a fan!

Note: at the end Abby made me think of Elise from S.M Reine’s Descent Series…though I think I could relate better to Abby….all I know is that Fearless made me die for more Monster Ass kicking heroines!


Will disturb your being
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment