Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Ashley's Review: Love and Decay, Episode One by Rachel Higginson

Love and Decay, Episode One (Love and Decay #1)
Love and Decay, Episode One by Rachel Higginson
Publication Date: July 10th 2013 
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Pages: 83 
Format: Kindle
Source: Free on Amazon
 
 
~Summary~
 
Zombies- as if that wasn’t enough to ruin any girl’s dream of a happily ever after.

Reagan said goodbye to love when she was forced to run her high school boyfriend over with her mom’s car just to keep him from eating her for dinner. Now, two years later, and in need of a serious shower, she’s just over the entire concept of a soul mate- or really, any kind of mate.

Well, mostly anyway. When she runs- literally- into a group of boys holed up in a relative utopia of peanut butter and bottled water, maybe all hope in the love department is not lost.

But at the end of the world, nothing can be simple. And with a horde of Zombies after her, Reagan is going to have to schedule falling in love between hunting and surviving. Hopefully she can last long enough find out if true love can still exist when everything else has started to fall apart.

Love and Decay, Episode One, the first in a novella series in a Dystopian Romance about Zombies, the end of the world and finding someone to share it with.

This story takes place over multiple episodes, with a release date every two weeks.
 
Approximately 20,000 words.
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
I’ve been seeing this serial around lately and somewhere I saw that the first episode was free, so I thought I’d download it and give it a try. I mean hello, it’s about zombies!! Yeah, I had high expectations and I shouldn’t have since this is my first time reading a serial. Those two just don’t seem to mix well…
In the beginning I was hooked. It starts off with a bang and I loved how it kinda felt like the main girl was interacting with the readers. I enjoyed when the background flowed well into the story as it developed. But then things started to go a little downhill.
For one thing, after a run in with some zombies Reagan and her friend find themselves bumping into another group of survivors. Ones that have survived way better than them, a band of 6 or so brothers and truthfully they were all closely described the same that I couldn’t always tell who was who. It was tough and made the read less enjoyable. So if there’s some guide to tell the seven dwarfs a part then I would love to know haha.
Now the romance thing comes a bit quickly but I know in this world things have to move quickly. I enjoyed her “love” interest, even more as I could tell him a part from all his other brothers. But only mainly because of his snarky dialog towards our lead, Reagan.
Overall this was a good start but am I dying to read the second episode? No, not really. I did enjoy some dialog, the action, zombies, and I did laugh a little bit but there’s nothing really pulling me back. Like I said, high expectations….Reagan was an okay character, I liked her in the beginning but once she got talking to the brothers, I don’t know. I just lost interest so I lost interest in seeing what would happen to her character.
 
Gives a good haunting
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment