Saturday, May 31, 2014

Tasha's Review: Prodigy

Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu
Publication Date: January 29, 2013
Genre: YA Dystopian
Pages: 371
Source: Bought




Summary

Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?


I was a big fan of  the first book, Legend. I did have problems with it, but still loved the book. That is pretty much how I feel about Prodigy. But to a lesser extent as I like Legend more. And the thing is that more time that pass since reading Prodigy, the more I only remember the things I disliked.

The plot, like Legend, was kind of generic and predictable. There were some nice surprises, but overall it was predictable and very much like any other dystopian. And I wasn't the biggest fan of what was done to Tess's character. I mean seriously, does she really have to be in love with Day? Can't they just be friends and treat each other like family? Would that have been so bad? Now that I'm done complaining about that, I will say the book was still entertaining and a pretty easy read. And the author did a good job at not making everything black-and-white and having consequences to the characters actions.

One problem I had with Legend was that it was sometimes hard to tell the narrators, Day and June, apart. That was partly fixed in Prodigy, though they both seemed a bit too perfect. That was good because it made me like June a lot more. Though how she could instantly tell how long a room was or type of weapon someone was using was pretty annoying at times. With Day, I found the opposite happening. I just found him agnsty and overall kind of dislikable. The side characters were fine, but somewhat forgettable. I already complained about Tess. Which was regrettable as I truthfully say when she was not fawning over Day, I really liked her.

Overall, Prodigy was an entertaining book and a good sequel to Legend. I had some problems with it, but I can say the same thing about Legend. If you enjoyed Legend you will enjoy this book, too. And I recommend you check out this series. And though I'm giving Prodigy 3.5/5, it is almost a 4 but I just can't do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment