Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ashley's Review: Breaking the Reins (Breaking #1) by Juliana Haygert

Breaking the Reins (Breaking, #1)
Breaking the Reins (Breaking #1) by Juliana Haygert
Publication Date: August 14th 2013
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance 
Pages: 382
Format: Paperback
Source: Author
Read: July 26-31, 2014
 
 
~Summary~
 
Horses, mansions, tea parties, and lies are twenty-year-old Hannah Taylor’s life. To others, her family and her relationship with Eric is perfect. But she knows the truth. She lives it.

After a fire takes her grandma's life and kills her horse, Hannah's immaculate life spirals out of control. Her father disapproves of her decision to run her grandma’s ranch instead of focusing solely on learning the family business; Animal Control brings her Argus, a mistreated horse that she can't turn away even though she's not ready for another horse; and her boyfriend, Eric Bennett, a world famous polo player, becomes possessive and authoritarian. Despite her best efforts to disguise it, Hannah grows wary of him.

Then, Leonardo Fernandes struts onto the polo scene. A cocky rookie with a messy life of his own, he’s drawn to Hannah and isn’t afraid of showing it, even when Eric makes it clear she is his and he’ll do whatever it takes to keep it that way. Hannah suffers for Eric’s jealousy. The abuse only gets worse when Leo steals the title of best polo player in the world from Eric.

But the title isn’t enough for Leo. He wants Hannah too, and she can’t deny her attraction to him either. Somehow, she must find a way to break free from abusive Eric before he breaks every bone in her body.


Genre: NA contemporary romance
Warning: strong language, domestic violence, sex scene
Word Count: 110,000
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
I've be grudging to do this review for so long because there's so much amazingness in just 382 pages and I don't want to spoil any of it! Yet I don't know how to express my feelings for it or didn't know if I could do it justice and help paint a picture for you by just saying "Oh my god! Oh my god! You must read this freaking fantastic book!" haha. So here I am writing it and I'm doing a pretty good job at it. So here you go..... 
 
Breaking the Reins is breathtaking and absolutely beautifully written. Just, wow! It's so human and real, one of the best New Adult Contemporaries I have read! It surely stands out in a crowd!
 
When I requested this as a research project for one of my own writings I was so excited that Juliana said yes! I knew this would be an intense read as it involves an abusive relationship but I had no idea that this was going to be a powerful and strong read that Mrs. Haygert has crated for us. I was truly swept away! I got lost in the words as she pulled at my heart strings. This was a crazy emotional ride and throughout I was rooting for Hannah and Leo.
 
Hannah is such a tough chick and throughout the book too. Though I loved her and her strength when everyone was against her and her dreams, I wanted to slap her when things were getting bad and she needed help. Like most abuse victims they deny it and that just bugged me she did! But that's real, this book is so real and I can't believe how much Juliana has me wrapped around her finger! haha
 
When I started this read I did not think I would get so attached and once I finished the last page, I felt like I lost all my friends. I wanted so badly to go back to this world! To get lost and feel the love that Leo and Hannah had for each other, reminds me of me and my Marine fiancé. The ending especially haha. They were so cute and their blooming relationship felt so natural! I couldn't put down this book! It's one you would have to pry from my dead hands. I couldn't get enough! I devoured it and though I wanted to savor it, I just couldn't stop!
 
Leo, oh Leo. You're my new book boyfriend! You're so charming and handsome, but you bring strength to Hannah too. An added strength to her tough exterior and that's exactly what everybody needs. You had me swept off my feet throughout the book and it seriously killed me when you weren't in every single page and chapter. I missed you as much as Hannah missed you. Again, Juliana, you had me so hooked that it felt like I fell down the rabbit hole and wasn't in my world anymore. I loved it!
 
Overall if you're looking for a refreshing New Adult Contemporary Romance then pick this one up! It will take a hold of you and once you're done, you'll still be thinking about it weeks later. Most definitely left a foot print in my book worm heart! I just.....so many emotions! The feels people! Leo had me laughing out loud, had me falling for him when he showed affection towards Hannah, and he had me weak at the knees when he showed her his passion. Oh my god, their first kiss was so hot! So much passion! Again, so many feels! And don't get me started on her abusive boyfriend.....ooh, if I was there I would have shot his ass if I got a chance.....
 
 
*Was provided with a copy from the author but this had no influence on my honest review*
 
 
 
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment