Friday, November 7, 2014

{Ashley's Review} Baehrly Beginning (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears 0.5) by Elizabeth A. Reeves

Baehrly Beginning: A Goldie Locke and the Were Bears Short Story
Baehrly Beginning (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears 0.5) by Elizabeth A. Reeves
Publication Date: April 21st 2013
Genre: Adult Fantasy
Pages: 21
Format: Kindle
Source: Free on Amazon
Read: November 04, 2014
 
 
~Summary~
 
A short story introducing sassy and spunky Goldie Locke and her menagerie of magical and rare creatures. Witch Goldie Locke's mission in life is the rescue and rehabilitation of endangered Magical creatures. She will put her life and all she has at risk to save them.
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
This one I just didn't really connect with like I did with Mrs. Reeves other short story, How (Not) to Play with Magic. But I see that the two worlds are connected as Goldie's twin sisters are Cindy Eller's half twin sisters and I see these two worlds collide in How (Not) to Kiss a Were Bear (Cindy Eller #6) but even though they're connected, I myself just couldn't really connect for some reason. And you don't need to read one or the other to understand the world because they're both different from each other.
 
I enjoyed Goldie's story, it was interesting but I could easily walk away from it if I wanted to. I know it's a short story but even I felt like the author was rushing herself (or maybe I was just rushing because I haven't finished a story in a long time and I so badly wanted to finish a story) but even so, I found small editing problems (I try not to bring these up sometimes because it happens to everyone, both self-published and traditionally published) but because of them they would kick me out of my reading flow. Also, sometimes I had to reread things because I felt like I missed something, a sign that it didn't quite have me completely hooked. I don't know, I just felt like something was missing.
 
Overall it was interesting and I enjoyed that Goldie's life is protecting endangered magical creatures, something she learned from her father. And I enjoyed meeting the Baehr brothers, when the receptionist said there was a Goldie Locke asking for them they thought someone was playing a joke on them and that definitely had me laughing out loud haha.
 
Would I continue reading this series? Maybe, but I'd rather read more of Cindy Eller's world first because that definitely caught my attention more!
 
 
    
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment