Thursday, January 29, 2015

Ashley's Review: Ever Darkening by Janeal Falor

Ever Darkening
Ever Darkening by Janeal Falor 
Publication Date: January 28th, 2015
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Pages: 171
Format: Kindle
Source: Author
Read: January 24th to 29th, 2015


~Summary~

Perfection. Goodness. Elimination of evil. It's what seventeen-year-old Kaylyn has trained her entire life to achieve. But no one is prepared for the consequences of her actually defeating all evil people on the planet. Finally successful in her mission, Kaylyn faces an unfamiliar world, full of good people doing good things, in which she no longer has purpose.

When the skies grow dark, and a stranger from another village pleads for her help, her instincts roar to life. It turns out their perfect world isn't exactly what it seems. Kaylyn's new quest, harder than any she's been on before, will rip apart her friendships, her life, and her soul more than any evil man ever managed to.


~My Thoughts~


Ever Darkening is....well....um, I liked it. I did enjoy it but sometimes I felt like I was rushing through it, so maybe that didn't help my cause, but honestly I didn't have a real connection with it. From the very first page we dive head first into the plot, which isn't always a bad thing, except I just felt there wasn't enough world building or character description to really get a good grasp of the story. Sometimes you don't always need that, sometimes they should just give you enough for you to paint your own picture but with Ever Darkening I just felt a little confused. Like, I understood as I got deeper into the story but because of this feeling in the beginning I just couldn't get sucked into the story. Or more like I felt a disconnection throughout the read.

I don't know what I was expecting going into this but I was hoping for a more powerful read. And maybe it is, but I just didn't see it that way. I just felt like it was mediocre compared to Mrs. Falor's Mine Series. By the end of it I understood the Good vs. Evil concept but I also felt unsatisfied. I wanted something more. I wanted to be invested into these characters, I wanted to be sad when I got to the end because I was saying goodbye to them, I wanted to feel something either than this just being a so-so read. I just don't know, I liked it but there's a "but" after that. I think the main problem is that I didn't feel connected and I was expecting that  like from Mrs. Falor's previous works. Honestly I felt like I was just hovering above, just going along for a ride instead of really being apart of their world.

Ever Darkening was an eventful read with characters that played their roles where they learned that maybe everything good isn't such a good thing. Though I may not have a lot of good things to say about it, or much to say at all, doesn't mean this might not be the read for you. It just means it was a so-so read for me.




Sweet Readings Everybody!

*Got a free copy from the author in exchange for my honest review, this in no way affected my opinion on it*

No comments:

Post a Comment