Thursday, May 21, 2015

Review: Jinx by Meg Cabot

Jinx
Jinx by Meg Cabot
Publication Date: August 1st, 2007
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy Romance
Pages: 262
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Read: May 14th to 18th, 2015
 
 
 
~Summary~
 
IT'S NOT EASY BEING JINX

The only thing Jean Honeychurch hates more than her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just... Jean) is her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes - which is why she's thrilled to be moving in with her aunt and uncle in New York City. Maybe when she's halfway across the country, Jinx can finally outrun her bad luck. Or at least escape the havoc she's caused back in her small hometown.

But trouble has definitely followed Jinx to New York. And it's causing big problems for her cousin Tory, who is not happy to have the family black sheep around. Beautiful, glamorous Tory is hiding a dangerous secret - one that she's sure Jinx is going to reveal.

Jinx is beginning to realize it isn't just bad luck she's been running from. It's something far more sinister... and the curse Jinx has lived under since the day she was born might just be the only thing that can save her life.
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
It didn't take me long to get into Jinx. It was a light, easy read and my curiosity was high in wanting to know why Jinx had to move across country to live with her Aunt's family. Of course we don't truly find out until the end but I'm just glad it didn't turn out like Avalon High- where the characters didn't believe in the fantasy element of the storyline. I was afraid as I got deeper into the story and Jinx was constantly turning Tory down, saying witchcraft isn't real and the story their grandmother told them was made up, that Jinx was going to end up like Avalon High by the end of it. I'm so thankful I was proved wrong!

Jinx constantly held my attention, I could have easily have read this in a couple days! Maybe even in one day if I didn't have anything else to do. The storyline was fun and charming, it held my interest, I just had to know what made Jinx move in with her relatives! It was obvious it was about a spell gone wrong, that's why she was constantly on Tory's ass about the spells her cousin cast. But Tory never learned, even when she found out how terrible Jinx's spell went.

Overall I enjoyed this girly read! Tory's antics were crazy and I can't believe how truly insane she was (some of the things she did I was soooo not expecting in this light read), especially over something stupid- or so you think. Haven't read many Meg Cabot books but this one makes me want to, especially her fantasy/paranormal ones! I'm so glad my town's library had it! The moment I saw it I grabbed it because I've been wanting to read it ever since I found it on Goodreads. This did not let down my expectations, I had a great time being in this world! And the romance was cute, why Jinx didn't see it, I don't know.







Sweet Reading Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment