Saturday, September 3, 2016

Book Review: The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass
Publication Date: April 24th, 2013
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Pages: 327
Format: Paperback
Source: Gifted
Read: August 18th to 22nd, 2016
Rating: 4/5



~Summary~

The first book in the captivating, #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series! Discover a breathless fairy-tale romance with swoon-worthy characters, glittering gowns, fierce intrigue, and a dystopian world that will captivate readers who loved Veronica Roth’s Divergent, Ally Condie’s Matched, and Lauren Oliver’sDelirium.

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape a rigid caste system, live in a palace, and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and competing for a crown she doesn’t want.

Then America meets Prince Maxon—and realizes that the life she’s always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.




When this first came out, I did borrow it from the library but after reading the first chapter I just couldn't get into it. I think because back then I was all over the Dystopia genre that I just rolled my eyes at yet another one. But always in the back of my mind I wanted to start this series, so I told my Mom I wanted the box set for Christmas as it was on sale at Target last year. 

So here I am, almost a year later, finally getting to the book haha. Something not unusual for me in the least. I've been working my way out of a reading slump, picking up lighter reads and boy was this a light fun read! I was devouring it, I sooo was not expecting how easily I got sucked into the story! I was absolutely head over heels! 

I think my favorite part of this book was the fact that America wasn't looking for love. I loved that she wasn't smitten with the Prince right away. Yes, it's because she just got her heart broken from the love of her life before she went to the Selection but I love the fact that she didn't bounce right into the romance with the Prince so soon afterwards. She was so real and upfront with the Prince and I loved that! I knew with their friendship she was going to get feelings for him eventually, it all felt so natural, it flowed so beautifully!

YOU GUYS, I was constantly swooning throughout this book! Swooning over Aspen, then broken because of him, then swooning over Maxon- now I don't know how I feel with how things ended on the last page. I think I'm #TeamMaxon haha. I also liked how for most of this book it wasn't about a love triangle, a breath of fresh air! This whole book was a breath of fresh air!! I'm so excited to pick up the next book!

Overall, other than the sort of unfinished ending and me expecting more crazy drama with 35 girls living under one roof and fighting for one guy (though the drama we got was perfect and natural) I was still expecting more. I really, really enjoyed this book! I was head over heels, never wanted to put it down! And when I did, I couldn't wait to pick it back up and escape reality between it's pages! 


     



Sweet Readings Everybody!!

11 comments:

  1. Yey! I'm glad you liked this one. I really loved the first three books in this series. They are such guilty pleasures! Well except I don't feel guilty at all hahaha. :D I hope you like the next ones too. :)

    ReplyDelete